What To Avoid When It Comes To Skin Care
Being aware of what you eat isn’t the only part of skin care that matters. Making sure you are not putting any harmful ingredients or chemicals found in products on your face is also very important. Here’s what to avoid:
- Parabens — a set of chemicals commonly placed on products to increase shelf-life can disrupt hormonal balance and possibly cause breast cancer.
- Phthalates — extremely dangerous for children and can disrupt the endocrine system and possibly cause birth defects. These chemicals unfortunately are commonly used to make plastic flexible enough to stick on the skin.
- Fragrance — an undisclosed set of ingredients that’s added onto the back of a product as just that (fragrance), are associated with causing allergies, disrupting hormones and leading to reproductive issues and infertility.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate — cause skin irritation and allergies.
- BHA & BHT — antioxidants that increase shelf life in products and can also damage the liver.
- Retinyl Palmitate and Retinol — can help soften wrinkles but can also possibly damage DNA and speed the growth of tumors on the skin especially when combined with Vitamin A on a product.
- Lead — we know it’s terrible and causes behavioral and learning problems, but it can be found in lipstick or lip gloss.
- Petrolatum — also found in lipstick, avoid it.
- Formaldehyde — can be found in cosmetics, a carcinogen that is associated with asthma, neurotoxicity and developmental toxicity.